07 May, 2013

You don't have to be on Facebook

That probably sounds an odd statement to make, right. After all, in this day and age, when social media is ubiquitous, having a presence on Facebook and Twitter is a given for any business wanting to connect with their customers. 
Well, yes and no. 
It's a terrific tool which allows you to engage with your customers in an informal and inclusive way...if you approach it in a professional manner. Because there's the rub: that it's informal doesn't mean you should approach it casually. 

What sort of things have me ready to click on "Unlike" or "Unfollow"?

Carelessness
As irritating as it might be, the old saying "retail is detail" has never been more true. I've spoken previously about the importance of merchandising and housekeeping; your social media presence is an extension of that. Incorrect set up (if your business has a Facebook Profile rather than a Page, then I'm talking to you), misspelling, missing information, not updating information...you get the picture. As retailers, we know we're judged on how we present ourselves and our stores, however unconsciously it may be done. Social media is simple another way of doing that.

Tumbleweeds
Social media is about engagement, so you need to engage; simply setting up a presence isn't enough. 
Post regularly and keep it relevant. Monitor interactions with your account. If people are engaging with you, then acknowledge that, and do it in a timely manner. Check your accounts once a day at the very least. Remember that by setting up a social media account, you're encouraging engagement with your customers; don't be careless with it when they do just that.

If anyone's going to be entertained, it should be your customers
I don't want to know if you're playing Farmville, or have had a great night out with your buddies, yet this is the sort of thing I've seen from businesses I have followed. Save that for your personal accounts, because I really don't want to be reminded that you'd rather be doing something else.

Don't spam me
Are your posts about selling, such as promoting your catalogue or current sale items? Do you use supplier promotional copy and press releases? Do you do these things almost exclusively? If so, you're spamming me. 
If I want promotional material, I'll go to your website or sign up for your catalogue. If I follow you on Twitter or Like you on Facebook, it's because I want to know more about your business and your team, so charm me. 
Post things which are interesting and relevant, and I'll be happy to read the occasional sales message. Make selling all you do and I'll run a mile.

What sort of things engage me?

Discovery and surprise
You know your business and product better than I do, so tell me things I don't know, or may not have discovered. It may be an article, video, website, or just a snippet of information. As long as it's relevant, you're on the right track. Avoid anything ubiquitous - you don't want to look as though you're late to the party!

Personalise it
If you care about what you do, that's your story. If you have a great team, that's your story. If you engage with your local community, that's your story. Share your story with me. If you're sincere and inclusive, it's difficult to resist.

Fun and whimsy
Finding your voice can take a little time, but it's worth the effort. If you can make me smile, I'll hardly even notice when you're selling to me.

Acknowledge me
That business which didn't respond to my post on their Facebook page about updating their address? I won't be seeking out their new location. The company which took three days to respond to my tweet praising some exceptional customer service in one of their stores? So much good work undone. 
However, the person who sent me a private message within an hour of a Facebook post about problems with ordering, you did your organisation proud. 


There's still a lot of fear and confusion around social media, but looking back on my comments it surprises me how much of it relates to good customer service and good housekeeping. Which shouldn't be a surprise at all, because everything a retailer does should be about their customers.
It's about the 5Ps, and again this should come as no surprise. Spend a little time setting parameters, such as who's responsible for the site and the sort of things you'll post and how often. Also do some research on what's out there and who does it well and why - as well as who does it badly and why - and you're setting yourself up for success.

So now you know that when I say you don't have to be on Facebook, it's not that I consider it unimportant, but rather that if you're going to do it in a half hearted way, you're probably better off not doing it at all.

Who do you think does social media well? Have you picked up tips from other businesses and, if so, how have they worked for you? I'd love to hear your feedback.



No comments:

Post a Comment